Air cargo facilities have to be certified as per IATA & CEIV for handling pharmaceuticals, vaccines, perishables etc. This process mainly involves testing to ensure that the goods maintain the specified temperature and humidity at all times. It requires testing procedures for all areas and vehicles which store or transport such goods.
Our services for certification of air cargo facilities for Cold Chain
- Temperature & Humidity mapping study for warehouses, chiller rooms, cool cells, cold storage rooms, chiller trucks, reefer trucks, vans, thermal boxes, pallet trolleys, thermal blankets etc.
- Temperature and humidity monitoring, recording and alert systems for warehouses, chiller rooms, cool cells, cold storage rooms, reefer trucks, vans etc.
- Asset tracking systems for tracking, recording and generating alerts for geo location, temperature, humidity, door open status, engine status etc. for vans, trucks, containers etc.
- Design qualification for any temperature controlled asset for complete HVAC design.
- In case any of the assets fail the mapping study, our engineering team will provide recommendations for corrective actions.
- Supply & Installation of Dehumidifiers or humidifiers to control humidity for any of the assets (If humidity control is required).
- Automation and interlocking of doors if you require such procedures to limit the door opening for effective temperature control.
- Consultancy for certification of cold chain management.
Procedure for Temperature and humidity mapping for certification of air cargo facilities
- Temperature range of 2 to 8 °C
- Temperature range of 15 to 25 °C
- Temperature range of -15 to -25 °C
Since it is large in size it will be difficult to maintain particular temperature range as per the settings. Also in an airport, the door opening frequency is much higher than in a normal warehouse. Hence there are lot of challenges in maintaining the desired temperature. The testing process also has lot of challenges due to the frequent movement of goods within the area. The testing process requires lot of coordination between the operators and the service provider.
Humidity is many times optional as per the goods stored by you. If you require to maintain certain level of humidity, please inform us during the bidding stage. Typically the specified humidity level is below 65% RH.
- Start up test to determine the time required for the asset to cool down and stabilize from ambient temperature. This might be difficult for a warehouse or cold room with ongoing operations, because you may not be able to switch off the asset prior to the testing. However this is mandatory for trucks, vans etc. For a truck, you should know how many hours you should switch it ON before loading the goods. In order to determine this, you need to carry out the start up tests. This test is only for information and there is no criteria for acceptance.
- Empty tests to test the performance when there are no goods inside the facility. Again this will be difficult for an operational facility since you can’t remove the goods for few days. But this is essential for reefer trucks and vans. The passing criteria is that all the temperature recordings across the entire area should be within the specified limits.
- Partially loaded tests to determine the performance when the facility is partially loaded. Usually we carry out the test at around 60-70% loaded condition. However this entirely depends on your regular loading conditions. If your facility is loaded only to 40% for most of the times, it is ideal to carry out at 40% loaded conditions. The passing criteria is that all the temperature recordings across the entire area should be within the specified limits.
- Full load test to determine the performance under fully loaded conditions. For carrying out these tests, the facility will be loaded to the maximum capacity. The passing criteria is that all the temperature recordings across the entire area should be within the specified limits.
- Power failure test to determine the duration that the temperature is safe in case of a power failure. This test is only for information. If the tests determine that the area will maintain the temperature for 4 hours after a power failure, you can decide on your back up plans accordingly. There is no criteria for acceptance in this test.
- Recovery test to determine the period required to come back to the specified temperature after an event like a power failure. This test is also for information to determine the time period.
- Door opening tests to determine the effects of opening of a door for durations such as 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc.
The mapping study is generally consisting of two climatic studies, one each in summer and winter. However based on your climatic conditions, you may need to carry out for three seasons as well. So any air cargo company has to complete at least two seasons to get a complete idea about the temperature levels inside the facility. In case if the facility is not maintaining the particular temperature range then the company can fix the temperature and humidity issues based on our recommendations. A retest will be required after completion of the rectifications.
Before starting the mapping process, we provide the customer with a protocol explaining all the steps and process of the mapping study. As per the WHO standards mapping study of a warehouse is conducted for 7 – 14 days or as per the customer preference. Different assets have different time period of mapping procedures. The report will indicate hot and cold spots of the entire area. This is useful for you to fix the sensors of real time monitoring system. Also we will provide a risk analysis for the asset.
Temperature mapping study using USB data loggers
We use USB type data loggers to record the temperature and humidity level inside the warehouse. Our data loggers record the temperature and humidity level once in 3 to 5 minutes, based on the type of asset . Based on the recorded data our mapping team will analyze and decide whether the air cargo warehouse is qualified for a particular temperature. Also we will provide recommendations for the corrective actions. Hundreds of loggers will be placed across the warehouse to continuously record the temperature and humidity, if required. All the data loggers have to remain in placed during the entire process of mapping study of the air cargo facilities. Upon completion of the test procedures, we will collect the data and we will download the data. We will provide a preliminary information whether the asset has qualified the tests. If any of the tests is not successful, our engineering team will provide recommendations for corrective actions. We will carry out a retest after the rectifications. Thereafter we will be providing a complete report.
Temperature mapping study using real time data collection
We are also offering real time mapping study using real time monitoring data loggers. In this case, we will be giving you real time feedback if the temperature is not within the limits. You can carry out the rectifications during the mapping study and review the results. We will be fixing the data loggers with a SIM card based real time temperature monitoring system. The data will be continuously stored in our server. The preliminary report will be ready as soon as the data collection is over. In case one test fails during the process, we can immediately notify you. After necessary corrective action, we can carry out this particular test once again. This way, you will be able to save time and efforts. The main challenge with time is the climatic season. If you are doing the test towards the end of the summer test and if the warehouse fails, you will have to wait until next summer. In such situations, the real time mapping will be beneficial.
Temperature monitoring systems for IATA & CEIV certifications
We provide all types of temperature and monitoring systems with alert systems for IATA & CEIV certifications of air cargo assets including warehouses, cold rooms, cool cells, refer trucks, refrigerated vans etc. We provide the following types of real time monitoring systems:
- WiFi based monitoring systems which will connect to a centralized WiFi system for data collection. In case you want a completely stand alone WiFi system for security reasons, we can provide the same. We will be providing a separate network only for our devices.
- Radio Frequency based temperature and humidity monitoring system, which will use Rf based sensors and transmitters.
- LAN based temperature and humidity monitoring systems.
- GPS based monitoring systems which will monitor and record the location, temperature, humidity, door opening time etc. This is mainly for refrigerated trucks and vans.
Also please see our separate article on temperature mapping study of cold storage room at aircargo.
You may contact us for your queries on products and services related to IATA and CEIV certification for air cargo facilities.